Monday, August 5, 2013

Grams Camp 2013 - Day 1

It's quiet at my house this morning. Even though I'm watching The Today Show and drinking coffee, the house is quiet, too quiet. There are toys strewn hither and yon and the laundry hampers are bursting with dirty clothes and towels. The floors need to be swept and mopped, there are tiny fingerprints on every surface, and nothing seems to be in its proper place.  But I've got memories that will last a long, long time.

Last week there were tickles and giggles. I was awakened each morning by a toddler climbing into my bed for morning cuddles. All day long I heard "Grams, look at me" and "I'm hungry." There were stories that had to be read, bubbles to blow, and water to splash.

Last week was Grams Camp! And it was so much fun.

The Princesses and their parents arrived on Tuesday evening. On Wednesday morning, Katy and Travis left for a couple of days at South Padre and Grams Camp kicked off. I was prepared for our littlest princess to have a problem with her parents leaving. But they took their time over breakfast and coffee. Then, while they gathered up their stuff and loaded the car, I put the girls in the bathtub. They were playing in the tub when Mom and Dad came in and said goodbye. Both of the girls actually just waved and said "Bye-bye, Momma. Bye-bye, Daddy." After that, we spent the morning watching movies in the living room. I made french bread pizza for lunch which they really liked.

Last time I visited their house, I mentioned to Katy that I wanted to get a table and chairs for the girls. She told me not to buy one because she had one in storage. It was a little bigger than I planned, but it worked out just great. I put it in the living room right in front of the fireplace. The girls sat there to eat, to watch movies, and to color. It was perfect. After they left, I cleaned it up and moved it into the front bedroom where it now holds their coloring books, crayons, and books. Instead of chairs, it has stools with built in storage. There was only one problem with it.

Katy has been working with the girls to get them to put their plates on the kitchen counter when they finish their meal. Princess E got up from the table and did exactly that. I looked over and noticed that Princess J's plate was gone too. I thought she must have done the same thing. Then I went in the kitchen and only saw one plate. So I came back and asked her where her plate was. You can see in the photos below what she had done with her plate.

We spent the rest of the day just playing at home. When Grandad got home, he blew up the wading pool and let the girls play in the water while I made dinner.

More on the rest of the week tomorrow.


  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful time! Don't you just love looking around and seeing all of their things... every moment just comes flooding back. Can't wait to hear about the rest of Grams Camp!

  2. The best times with grandkids are just as you've described - low key togetherness...just happy to be with a "grams" who's crazy about them!