Friday, August 9, 2013

Grams Camp 2013 - Day 3

Day 3 of Grams Camp was a Friday. It was extra special because Grandad took the day off to spend with us. We got a little bit of a late start because the girls had stayed up too late the night before and because Grandad kept getting calls from the office.

We didn't really have a plan for what to do on Friday so we discussed a few options then decided to check our local Groupon site to see if we could find something. We decided on a one-hour pass to Brinca! for $15. Brinca is the Spanish word for jump. It was a great choice. Brinca is an indoor bouncy-house paradise with couches and wi-fi for the parents and a bunch of different inflatable games.

I was a little worried that our littlest princess, Princess J, would be too timid or afraid on some of the games, but there was a good variety of inflatables. Several of them were very appropriate for a two-year-old. In addition they had a big play area for little ones right in front of the sofas. But I needn't have worried. Our two-year-old has reached the stage where she wants to keep up with her big sister. She went on every slide, no matter how big it was. And, all but one of them, she went on multiple times. The only thing that frightened her was that at the bottom of the biggest slide was a maze. When she got to the bottom of the slide, she couldn't find her way out. I heard her shout for Grams and start crying. Without hesitation, I went in after her. She was fine after that, but didn't go on that slide again.

Princess E had so much fun. She immediately made friends with a couple of little boys who were there and was soon the leader of the pack going from slide to slide.

As you can see, Princess E had on her headband that looks like a tiara and she kept it on the entire time she played. Most all of the adults there that day were grandparents with their grandchildren. As we sat around talking with each other, one of the grandfathers marveled at her ability to keep it on while going up and down slides and climbing in and around all the games. When she came over to talk to me, he told her that he liked her tiara. She replied in a very matter-of-fact voice "Oh, it's not a real  tiara" and turned and ran away to continue playing. I thought every grandparent there was going to fall off the sofas laughing.

Princess J really liked the bouncy horse a lot. She would go around and get on every slide and toy, but she kept coming back to this horse.

I have included this photo collage so you can get a perspective of how big the slides were. This is the second tallest slide. Grandad is 6'5" tall and he had a hard time climbing up. On the other hand, Our Little Princesses scooted right up it without much trouble. Try as I might, I could not get a photo of any of them actually coming down the slide. They were too fast for my camera shutter.

Just before we left, Princess J came running over and asked Grandad to go on the slide with her. He reluctantly agreed and climbed up behind her. As usual, he did not escape unscathed. He scraped his elbow on something and it's still sore a week later. I'm thinking these toys were not meant for 6'5" grandfathers. 

We were fortunate that there were only a few children there at the time we were there. Almost all of them were toddlers. There were a few older children when we arrived, but they didn't stay long.

Since there were so few children there, we were actually allowed to stay beyond our allotted hour. But we soon got hungry and decided to go to lunch.

We decided to try Corpus Christi's newest cafe, The Corner Bakery. We ordered macaroni and cheese for the girls. When it arrived, it was not to their liking and they absolutely refused to eat it. Grandad went back to the counter and ordered peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the girls which he paid for. One of the employees explained that they had given us the gourmet macaroni and cheese when they should have given us the children's macaroni and cheese. When the sandwiches were ready, the manager brought them out and refunded the additional charge. He also brought each of us a cookie. I was very pleased with their service. The salad I had was delicious. I will definitely eat there again.

By the time we finished eating, both girls were almost falling asleep at the table. They were napping in their car seats all the way home and for a while after we got home. Shortly after they woke up, their parents got back from South Padre in time for us all to go out for our Friday night dinner.

Grams Camp lasted one more day. On Saturday we all went to the Texas State Aquarium. More on that in another post coming soon.


  1. Sounds like everyone had a great time! Bouncy slides was a great idea and I am not surprised they were tired. Kids are so particular about their food -- Amara would have been the same way about the mac and cheese. Glad you are having this time with them.

  2. So much fun! I have accompanied my grandkids on bouncy house ventures in the past. Neither the 4 year old boys nor the 2 year old girl have any fear of them. I slid down a few times, much to their delight. My daughter took pictures and immediately posted them to FB. They received many "likes." Not sure if I should have been embarrassed or not!
    I love the brutal honesty of the little princess about her tiara!