I chose "Grams Made It" as the name for my blog because I started blogging at a particularly difficult time in my life. I left a job I had held for 32 years. At about the same time my husband was diagnosed with a serious heart problem that led to multiple surgeries. At the same time, my mother was dying and we had to deal with living arrangements for my special needs sister. Then my first granddaughter arrived and life was sweet again.
Here are a few interesting facts about me:
- I sew for my granddaughters and do alterations and custom sewing to make a little extra money.
- I didn't learn to cook until I was about 50 years old. Turns out that I love cooking and I'm pretty good at it. Some of my recipes are on my blog.
- Even though I loved my long-time job as a non-profit, special event fund raiser, I always wished I had become a teacher. Substitute teaching fulfills that need. I teach three or four days a week in pre-kindergarten up to third grade. I have an ongoing series called "The Substitute Diaries" where I write about my experiences.
- In 2015, Patrick and I will celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary.
- We love being empty nesters and love to travel. I especially enjoy trips to New England. We've been twice and will probably go again.
- We live in Corpus Christi, Texas and I love to go to the beach on nearby Padre Island. My granddaughters enjoy it too. In contrast, my husband is not a fan of the beach, but he goes because our granddaughters love it.
- When we first became empty nesters, we really didn't know what to do with ourselves. It was then we discovered how much we love going to the movies. Most weekends we catch at least one movie, sometimes at the theater and sometimes in the comfort of our home. You will sometimes find movie reviews on my blog.
- I have been an avid reader my entire life. Seriously, when I was a kid, my mother would have to make me go outside and play in the summer. I would take a book, climb a tree, and sit and read. You can find my reading list on Goodreads.com. You will also find movie reviews here.
If there is anything else you want to know, ask me.
Contact me at vicki.valenta at gmail dot com.