Sunday, February 7, 2010

Grams Made Reduced Sugar Forgotten Cookies

I have always loved meringue cookies. When I had to reduce the amount of sugar I eat, I was delighted to find this recipe. It's one of my personal favorites, because it doesn't taste like I'm giving up anything!

1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend for Baking
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate morsels

Preheat oven to 200 degrees.

Bake walnuts in a shallow pan, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until toasted. Set aside.

Beat egg whites and vanilla a high speed with an electric mixer until foamy.

Add Splenda Sugar Blend, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form; stir in walnuts and chocolate morsels.

Spoon rounded teaspoons of mixture on baking sheets lines with parchment paper.

Bake 2 hours. Cool slightly on cookie sheets. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight tin.

(Be sure you use SPLENDA® Sugar Blend for Baking. It's a blend of pure sugar and SPLENDA® Brand Sweetener, which reduces the amount of sugar by one half but still gives you the qualities of sugar which are important for baking.)