Sunday, April 7, 2013

Our Girls Weekend

While most of the family went turkey hunting a couple of weeks ago, Katy and I enjoyed a girls weekend with Our Little Princesses.

It was a lot of fun. On Friday afternoon I got to do one of my favorite things ... go with Katy to day care to pick up the Princesses. It just does my heart good to walk in to each of their classrooms and watch quietly as they play with their friends. Then there is that very special moment when they look up and see me. They always just drop what they're dong and come running across the room and fling themselves into my waiting arms. There are not many things in the world that compare with that.

On Friday evening we went to Cerroni's Purple Garlic for pizza. We drive right past this place on every visit to San Antonio and I've always wanted to try it. Ironically, it's located right next door to a Pizza Hut. They offer pizza, pasta, and subs along with beer and wine. They also have a covered patio with a huge sandbox. It is a great place for a family evening. Katy and I sipped wine and chatted while the girls played in the sandbox with all the other kids. We had a delicious meatball and pepperoni pizza. We ended our evening at home. After bathtime, we all cuddled up on the sofa and watched Wreck-It Ralph.

Saturday morning, we were up and out of the house early. After a quick breakfast, we had an appointment for a session with Picture People at La Cantera. I had never heard of Picture People, but after checking their web site, I see that they have locations all over the place. They specialize in portraits of families and children. Their photos are bright and creative. The photographer we worked with was extremely patient. While both of the Princesses are usually outgoing and happy, there is just something about have their picture taken by a professional that turns them introverted and shy. He really had to coax them into just standing in front of the backdrop. But, like I said, he was very patient and stuck with us until he got some really great photos.

First I want to show you a little side-by-side of how much the girls have grown in one year. The photos on the left were taken on Easter Sunday last year. The ones on the right are from our session the week before Easter this year.



While I love how happy and healthy they are growing. It makes me a little bit sad that they are not babies any more.

There were quite a few photos that I thought were really good. I will say that Katy and I didn't agree on all of them. This collage includes several photos that we didn't have printed. I thought they would give you an idea of how hard our photographer had to work.


The photo below is my favorite photo from the session. It now has pride of place on Grandad's desk at his office.


I also love both of these photos.


This grouping now hangs in a frame on the wall in my living room. I absolutely adore it.
Having our portraits done at Picture People was a lot of fun. One of the best things about it is that you see your proofs within about ten minutes and your prints are ready in less than an hour. If there is one located near you, I highly recommend them. I am pretty sure some of these photos will be finding their way into the masthead on my blog.

After a stroll around La Cantera, we headed home for nap time. On Sunday morning we had cinnamon toast and tea for breakfast and took a drive out into the Hill Country looking for wildflowers. We didn't find any, but we had a nice drive which gave us plenty of time for talking. By the time we got back, the family was back from hunting and we all gathered around the dining room table for sandwiches and chips and sharing stories of our weekend adventures.

As the old saying goes ... a good time was had by all.






I was not compensated in any way for this post.  All opinions are my own.